Dakota Douglas: Maine Artist for the 2015 Daring to Dream Awards

Since its inception, the Daring to Dream Award has always reflected the artistry and vision of Maine artisans with disabilities. In 2002, local artist Lisa Raven designed a large commemorative stained glass display, and for several years, annually produced smaller reproductions for the individual awards. In 2012, the Center celebrated its 20th Anniversary with special awards that recognized individuals whose efforts made long-term and significant changes to enhancing the lives of individuals with disabilities in Maine. The 20th anniversary awards featured an original abstract painting by Spindleworks artist, Terri Snape.

The featured artist for the 2015 Daring to Dream Award is Dakota Douglas, a member of the Cony High School [Augusta] Class of 2015. His freehand drawing, “Spring Mandella” was the winning submission in the 2015 Daring to Dream Award Artwork Competition sponsored by CCIDS. Over 30 Maine artists with disabilities submitted original artwork for the Selection Committee’s consideration. When asked about “Spring Mandella,” Dakota shared the following: “During the third quarter when I was taking the drawing class, I made high honors for the first time in my life and it was a great feeling to finally experience the sense of accomplishment that many of the students in my grade and on my sports teams have for years.”

Karen and Mike Douglas (parents) with Dakota Douglas.
Carole and Bernard King (grandparents).
Carole and Bernard King (grandparents).