Alan B. Cobo-Lewis
Associate Professor of Psychology
- University of Maine
- Center for Community Inclusion and Disability Studies
- 5717 Corbett Hall, Room 230
- Orono, ME 04469-5717
TTY users call Maine Relay 711
Postdoctorate, Mailman Center for Child Development, Dept. of Pediatrics, University of Miami
Ph.D., University of Wisconsin
M.S., Psychology, University of Wisconsin
B.A., Psychology, University of Miami
Download Alan B. Cobo-Lewis’s complete vita here (opens in MS Word).
Selected Honors & Awards
- Helen M. Bailey Advocacy Award, Disability Rights Center of Maine (2010)
- Maine Down Syndrome Network Buddy Award (2010)
- University of Maine Presidential Public Service Award (2008)
Selected University Service
- Member, Search Committee for Dean of College of Education and Human Development (2008–2009)
- Member, Search Committee for Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education (2008)
- University of Maine Faculty Senate
- Member (2005–2008)
- Program Creation and Reorganization Review Committee (2007–2008)
- Ad hoc committee to respond to University of Maine System New Challenges New Directions Task Force (2009)
- Member, Institutional Review Board (2005–2008)
Selected Professional Memberships and Public Service
- Member, Children’s Waiver Stakeholder Group (Subcommittee of MaineCare Advisory Committee), Maine Department of Health and Human Services (2010–present)
- Member, Maine Children’s Growth Council (2008–present)
- Co-chair of Working Group To Study the Connections Between Higher Education and Early Childhood Education (2009–2010)
- Member, Legislative subcommittee (2011–2013)
- Member, Early Care and Education Accountability Team (2009–2013)
- Sponsor, Hanley Health Leadership Development team for data sharing (2012)
- Member, Maine Developmental Disabilities Council (2007–present)
- Treasurer (2008–2012)
- Chair of Public Policy Committee (2012–2014)
- Member, Public Policy Committee, National Association of Councils on Developmental Disabilities (2012–present)
- Member, Section 32 Children’s Waiver Stakeholder Group, Maine Department of Health and Human Services (2013–present)
- Member, Steering Committee, Maine Educational Policy Research Institute (2013–present)
- Testimony to Maine Legislature Committees:
- Joint Standing Committee on Education and Cultural Affairs (2004–2013, 2015)
- Joint Standing Committee on Appropriations and Financial Affairs (2005, 2007, 2010–2013, 2015)
- Joint Standing Committee on Health and Human Services (2007, 2009, 2013, 2015)
- Joint Standing Committee on Insurance and Financial Services (2009–2010, 2013)
- Joint Standing Committee on State and Local Government (2010)
- Government Oversight Committee (2012)
- Public comment to MaineCare Redesign Task Force (2012)
- Public comment to Streamline Task Force (2012)
- Public comment to Maine Department of Education on proposed special education rules (2004, 2006, 2009, 2011)
- Public comment to Maine Department of Education on proposed restraint and seclusion rules (2011)
- Public comment to Maine Department of Health and Human Services on proposed rules (2008, 2009, 2010, 2012)
Recent Publications and Presentations (for a full listing, please refer to his vita)
Cobo-Lewis, A. (2019, June 29). Partisan politics and the forgotten population [Op-ed]. Bangor Daily News. Retrieved from https://bangordailynews.com/2019/06/29/opinion/contributors/partisan-politics-and-the-forgotten-population/
Kaye, L. W., Zeph, L. A., & Cobo-Lewis, A. B. (2015). The aging and developmental disabilities networks: Can the silos be dismantled? Maine Policy Review, 24(2), 115 – 118. http://digitalcommons.library.umaine.edu/mpr/vol24/iss2/25
Cobo-Lewis, A. B., Lahti, M., Dean, A., Michaud, K., Song, Q., Bhuvanagiri, S., & Mason, C. A. (under revision). Validation of an online child care quality rating and improvement system using Environment Rating Scales.
Yazejian, N., Bryant, D., Freel, K., Burchinal, M., & the Educare Learning Network Investigative Team. (2015). High-quality early education: Age of entry or time in care differences in student outcomes for English-only and dual language learners. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 32, 23–39. doi: 10.1016/j.ecresq.2015.02.002
Oller, D. K., Jarmulowicz, L., Pearson, B. Z., & Cobo-Lewis, A. B. (2011). Rapid spoken language shift in early second-language learning: The role of peers and effects on the first language. In A. Y. Durgunouglu & C. Goldenberg (Eds.), Language and literacy development in bilingual settings (pp. 94–120). New York: Guilford.
Pearson, B. Z., Navarro, A., Oller, D. K., & Cobo-Lewis, A. (2010). Early phonological development in the speech of bilingual-learning infants and toddlers: The interplay of universal and language-specific processes. In M. Cruz-Ferreira (Ed.), Multilingual norms (pp. 73–94). Frankfurt, Germany: Peter Lang.
Vishneau, M., Cobo-Lewis, A., Howard, S., Labas, L., Armstrong, P., Downs, J., Meagher, T., Sawyer, E., & Ward, H. (2015, August). Quality for ME Revision Project – Final Report. Report submitted to Maine Department of Health and Human Services. Orono, ME: Center for Community Inclusion and Disability Studies; Portland, ME: University of Southern Maine Muskie School of Public Service.
Lahti, M., Cobo-Lewis, A., Dean, A., Rawlings, S., Sawyer, E., & Zollitsch, B. (2011, December). Maine’s Quality for ME – Child care quality rating and improvement system (QRIS): Final evaluation report. Report submitted to Maine Department of Health and Human Services. http://muskie.usm.maine.edu/maineroads/pdfs/QRISEVALRPRT_FINAL.pdf
Selected Published Abstracts and Unpublished Conference Presentations
Cobo-Lewis, A., Walker, D., Yazejian, N., Jeon, S., Hong,S., Stoiber, K., Horm, D., Guerrero, G., & Bryant, D. (2019, November). Children with Disabilities Tend to Stay in a Highly-Resourced Early Head Start/Head Start Program Longer than Children Without Disabilities (PDF). Peer-reviewed poster session presented at the 2019 Association of University Centers on Developmental Disabilities (AUCD), Washington, DC.
Cobo-Lewis, A. B., Meadow, C., Markowsky, G., Pearson, B. Z., Collier, S. A., & Eilers, R. E. (2016, December). Computerized adaptive assessment of infant-toddler language development: Demonstration and validation of an app for screening. Peer-reviewed poster presentation at the 2016 Association of University Centers on Disabilities (AUCD) Conference, Washington, DC.
File, N., Bryant, D., Cobo-Lewis, A., Forestieri, N., & Encinger, A. (in submission). How does continuity of care in infant/toddler programs affect age 3 outcomes? Paper submitted for presentation at European Early Childhood Education Research Association, Barcelona.
Cobo-Lewis, A. B., Chazan-Cohen, R., Bryant, D. M., Yazejian, N., Horm, D., Sweet-Darter, M., Walker, D., File, N., Hirschstein, M. K., Jackson, T., Raden, A., Spieker, S. J., Stein, A., & the Educare Learning Network Investigative Team. (2015, March). Length of time in early care and education in a large diverse sample of children at risk for poor school outcome. Paper presented at the biennial meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Philadelphia, PA.
Cobo-Lewis, A. B. (2014, April). Dosage: How long do children stay in Educare? Presentation at annual Educare Learning Network meeting, Rockport, ME. [invited]
Presentations to Professional Audiences (not peer reviewed)
Cobo-Lewis, A. (2014, October). Quality for ME: Summary of prior assessment, validation, and recommendations. Presentation to Maine Child Care Advisory Council, Augusta, ME.
Cobo-Lewis, A., & Michaud, K. (2012, October). Maine’s online TQRIS application: Access for providers, administrators, and R&R personnel. Webinar for states invited by US Dept of Education to apply for Race To The Top Early Learning Challenge Phase 2 grants. Early Learning Challenge Collaborative.
Lahti, M., Cobo-Lewis, A. B., Dean, A., & Michaud, K. (2012, April) An Evaluation Report on Maine’s Quality for ME Child Care Quality Rating and Improvement System. Presentation to Maine Children’s Growth Council, Waterville, ME.
Download Alan B. Cobo-Lewis’s complete vita here (opens in MS Word).