Supporting the Transition to Employment for Youth with ASD
This webinar was conducted for TACE Region 8 (Denver, CO) vocational rehabilitation staff and providers of employment services.
The presenters reviewed some of the obstacles that often interfere with the successful transition to employment for youth with autism spectrum disorders (ASD) as well strategies for supporting that transition. They focused on how professionals can support job development through a number of activities including:
- Person and family-centered career planning that supports self-determination and self-advocacy,
- Supporting the youth’s active involvement in all aspects of the job development process,
- Good job matching,
- Identification of potentially supportive workplaces,
- Identifying workplace accommodations and supports that can be useful for youth with ASD,
- Fostering strategies for communication with supervisors and co-workers as well as acquisition of job-related skills.