Daily Transitions—Time for a Change – Selected Resources
Please note: Some resources may require a subscription or have restricted access due to a publisher paywall.
- Araujo, N., & Aghayan, C. (2006). Easy Songs for Smooth Transitions in the Classroom (Book & CD edition). St. Paul, MN: Redleaf Press.
- Jervis, K., & B. Polland. (2007). Separation: Supporting children in their preschool transitions. Washington, DC: NAEYC.
- Malenfant, N. (2006). Routines and Transitions: A Guide for Early Childhood Professionals. St. Paul, MN: Redleaf Press.
- Miller, K. (2005). Simple Transitions for Infants and Toddlers. Beltsville, MD: Gryphon House, Inc.
- Child Care Aware. (2008). Helping Children Make Changes: Big and Small [PDF]. The Daily Parent, 34. Retrieved from georgiadisaster.info/General%20Public/GP11%20SupportingChildren/Transitions.pdf
- Early Childhood Consultation Partnership. (n.d.). Series #1: The Classroom Environment. Tips for Tots. Tip #2: Support Children with Transitions (PDF). Retrieved from http://www.eccpct.com/Customer-Content/www/CMS/files/Tips_for_Tots_1/1-2_ECCP_Tips_for_Tots_Classroom_Environment_Transitions.pdf
- Head Start Early Childhood Learning and Knowledge Center (ECLKS). (2017). Classroom Transitions [Video]. Retrieved from https://eclkc.ohs.acf.hhs.gov/hslc/tta-system/teaching/practice/engage/iss/classroom-transitions.html – Part of the 15-minute In-service Suite, teachers can watch this 15-minute In-Service Suite for ways to help children use positive behaviors during classroom transitions. The suite also includes related print resources for early educators, administrators and families.
- Kids Included Together (KIT). (2010 – 2013). Easing Transitions (PDF). Washington, DC. Available from the KIT website at http://elearning.kit.org/oltpublish/site/document.do?dispatch=show&id=c6c1a55d-55b2-11e5-9903-002590f9ff98&entityType=GROUP&entityId=cc65edfc-b8a5-11e3-bc5a-00163e0054ca&inner=false
- Miller, S. A. (n.d.). Tips for Transitions. Scholastic Early Childhood Today. Retrieved from http://teacher.scholastic.com/professional/classmgmt/transitiontips.htm
- Ostrosky, M. M., Jung, E. Y., Hemmeter, M. L., Thomas, D. (2007). What Works Brief Training Kit #3, Helping Children Understand Routines and Classroom Schedules (PDF). Retrieved from Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning website: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/kits/wwbtk3.pdf
- Ostrosky, M. M., Jung, E. Y., Hemmeter, M. L. (2008). Helping Children Make Transitions between Activities (PDF). Retrieved from Center on the Social and Emotional Foundations for Early Learning website: http://csefel.vanderbilt.edu/kits/wwbtk4.pdf
- Raising Children Network. (2006). Helping children make transitions between activities. Retrieved from the Raising Children Network: The Australian Parenting website: http://raisingchildren.net.au/articles/transitions.html
- Songs for Teaching: Using Music to Promote Learning. (n.d.). Music for Transitions, State Changes, Energizers, and Classroom Management. Retrieved from Songs for Teaching website: http://www.songsforteaching.com/transitions.htm
- Childcare Resource: The Virtual Daycare – Transitions – This website offers a variety of suggestions for making transitions in a daycare setting.
- Head Start Center for Inclusion – Classroom visuals and supports – This website offers help to support teachers in the classroom with an ever-growing library of commonly used pictures and visual supports to help teach and support all students.
Funding for the 2011 update of the Growing Ideas Resources for Guiding Early Childhood Practices has been provided by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Child and Family Services, Early Childhood Division.